Friday, June 03, 2005

Sacred Heart

Today was the feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, a liturgical celebration that falls on the Friday after Corpus Christi.

Christ reportedly said to St. Mary Margaret: "Behold this heart which has loved men so much that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming itself in order to testify to them its love."

Many have been deeply attached to this image of Christ's love. Others have found it dull, saccharine and hokey. Consider it for a few moments. What does it mean to you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Nice to see a strong devotion to the Sacred Heart among Jesuits :)

June 09, 2005 1:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I was young I pondered for a long time the idea of someone loving me with an all comsuming love. I used to watch camp fires and fireplace fires and wonder about the power of such a love for me. To this day I don't think I am closer to unraveling the mystery of it, but it remains an image that gives me pause.

Maggie (baptized Margaret Mary)

June 14, 2005 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Catholic Blogs Page