Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Spiritual direction

After work tonight, I drove from Boca to West Palm for a monthly meeting with my spiritual director.

A "spiritual director" is a priest, monk, nun or someone likewise experienced who listens to another person talk informally about his prayer life. The purpose of the process, as I understand it, is to deepen one's spiritual life.

Catholics often meet with spiritual directors during weekend retreats, or when they are trying to figure out ("discern") God's calling in their lives.

Even a non-Catholic, if so inclined, could call up his local diocese and ask to meet with a spiritual director.

Since February 2004, I've had two "full-time" spiritual directors. When I enter the Society of Jesus this August, I'll begin meeting with my first Jesuit one. Regular spiritual direction will continue throughout my Jesuit formation.

As always, my director tonight challenged me to be more radically open to God's will and more deeply mindful of how God's spirit might be moving me in prayer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just noticed your location, and I was wondering if you could help me--I will be staying in Boca the weekend of 4/23 and would like to take my son (a 17 year old apprentice organist) to a Mass that has a good music program. If the church has a good pipe organ that would be great. So far, I'm leaning toward St. Jude, because I see that they hosted a Schubert Mass setting as a recent Friday concert. I know that this shouldn't really drive my decision of where to attend Mass, but I try my best to expose him to well-done sacred music as part of his education and preparation to serve the Church in music ministry some day.

April 14, 2005 7:38 AM  
Blogger Sean Salai, S.J. said...

I'm not certain which Boca Raton parishes have pipe organs and which ones do not.

While covering the recent Masses for John Paul II, I did notice that the choir at St. Jude was exceptionally well-rehearsed.

They sounded very professional to me.

April 14, 2005 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Catholic Blogs Page